As an institution, AWWA is a unique organization, with a focused concern for Veer Naris and the families of serving personnel in the Indian Army. In recent times, AWWA has paid special attention to the empowerment of women by successfully upgrading the existing Vocational Training Centres (VTC’s) in many stations into Army Skill Training Centres (ASTC), under the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal VikasYojna (PMKVY). It is heartening to see the Army spouses undergoing courses at ASTC and making full use of this initiative in empowering themselves.
As we face the changing social environment, there is an upward trend in marital discord cases. Southern Command AWWA has striven to provide timely counselling, assistance and motivation to our military families, to make their marriages work. In the event of imminent separation, we have proactively initiated measures to provide earliest support & relief to these ladies. At Southern Command we have been constantly working with utmost passion and dedication towards notable improvement in our APPS and Asha Schools, focussing on providing a solid foundation & rehabilitation respectively, and towards generating viable employment opportunities for Veer Naris and families of serving soldiers, by imparting professional training and skill development through AWWA, besides making a difference in their thinking and lives. Besides this, the all round development of the girl child and her holistic care has also been a priority.
It is heartening to see the hard work done by our many institutions who have been working selflessly towards making a huge difference. To mention a few, there is ‘The ART Centre’, Pune who are working to brings smiles to infertile couples; ‘SHRAVAN’, where the staff is working hard to bring joy to many and ‘Asha School’, where the staff has been working day in & day out to bring joy to the specially abled children.
1. “Asha, Vishwas and Astha” has always been the guiding factor of all activities of Southern Comd AWWA. The spirit of caring and sharing with abundant hope, confidence and trust has always been the under lying guideline of our efforts to all welfare activities.
2. Our focus areas have been health & personal care, education and overall growth, women empowerment, wellness and improvement in quality of life, welfare of ex-servicemen & veer naris and pro active approach on marital discord cases.
3. KRAs of Regional President AWWA
(a) Vocational training through VTCs / ASTCs, Health Care and Hygiene for families.
(b) CPR (Basic Life Support) training of all families.
(c) Awareness through workshops, scholarships, counseling and guidance to school going children.
(d) Upgradation of ASHA Schools.
(e) Proactive approach in resolving Marital Discord cases.
(f) Generate employment opportunities for Veer Naris and families of serving soldiers by imparting professional training and skill development through AWWA.
4. SHRAVAN. Children who are born with hearing impairment early in life are bound to develop significant disability in verbal communication. Hearing impaired children can be rehabilitated with their appropriate hearing aids or by Cochlear Implantation surgery. While these measures augment the auditory skills in these children, the systematic long term speech therapy is the only route for these children to develop verbal skills in speech and language.
5. This unique centre managed by Dept of ENT, AFMC and Command Hospital (Southern Comd) was started on 19 Jul 2011 under the aegis of HQ Southern Comd. Dept of ENT AFMC and Comd Hosp (SC) are designated Cochlear Implant Centre of the ArmedForces Medical Services (AFMS). SHRAVAN has been instrumentalin implementation of Universal Neonatal Hearing Screening Programme (UNHSP)and Cochlear Implant Programme for the service clientele. A total of 134children have undergone Audio Verbal Therapy. Annual day function of SHRAVAN was celebrated on 31 Mar 18. Mrs Suman Soni, Regional President AWWA attended the same.
6. PRERNA. Prerna a purely voluntary organisation, has been initiated by HQ Southern Command with an aim to provide emotional and social support to cancer patients undergoing treatment at Command Hospital (Southern Command).
7. ART Centre, Pune. Assisted Reproductive Technology Centre (ART), Comd Hosp (SC), Pune was reinstated in 2009 with an aim to fulfill the dream of the sub fertile couples of Armd Forces and help them achieve parenthood. It is a home of hopefor the sub fertile couples. It caters to an outpatient workload of approximate 150 couples daily and conduct 65 to 70 IVF cycles per month with47-50% of positive results.
8. ART Centre, Bopal. ART Centre at MH Bhopal hasbeen made functional since 01 Apr 2018 and 09 IVF cycles so far has been completed which will distribute the work load leading to decongestion and decrease in waiting time at ART Centre, Pune.
9. ASTC. The Army Skill Training Centre (ASTC) has been registered through Army Welfare Placement Org (AWPO) by directorate of Indian Army Veterans (DIAV) on 17 Mar 17. As of now four Army Skill Training Centre have been set up in Southern Comd at Pune, Kirkee, Jodhpur and Sagour.Six moreASTCs at Bhopal, Gwalior, Jhansi, Babina, Mehandipatnam (Secunderabad) and AOC Centre Secunderabad are being setup and will be functional shortly.Mrs Madhulika Rawat, President AWWA vis ASTC Protsahan, Pune on 26 Apr 2018.
10. Vis President AWWA to Welfare Complex, Southern Comd. MrsMadhulikaRawat, President AWWA visited Welfare Complex, Southern Comd and inaugurated ‘Chhavi Beauty Parlour’at Maitri Complex on 26 Apr 2018.
11. Asha School. There are ten Asha Schools in Southern Comd. Southern Comd AWWA has undertaken the responsibility of educating and training special children of serving soldiers, ex-servicemen and civilians at Asha School. The School is dedicated to help them overcome physical and learning challenges. The ten Asha Schools in the AOR of Southern Comd are at Pune, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Jhansi, Babina, Gwalior, Secunderabad, Devlali, Jodhpur and Ahmedabad.
REGIONAL PRESIDENT AWWA VIS ASHA SCHOOL PUNE
CHILDREN OF ASHA SCHOOL PUNE VIS TO POLO VISTA
RESIDENCE OF REGIONAL PRESIDENT AWWA
REGIONAL PRESIDENT AWWA VIS ASHA SCHOOL, JODHPUR
REGIONAL PRESIDENT AWWA VIS ASHA SCHOOL BABINA
12. PRC, Kirkee. Paraplegic Rehabilitation Centre (PRC), Kirkee has been able to achieve physical, psychological and financial rehabilitation of 100% disabledex-servicemen in a manner comparable to European standards. The present strength of the residents in the centre is 90. Regional President AWWA vis PRC and interacted with our disabled soldiers to boost their morale.
13. Southern Comd Girls Hostel, Kirkee. The edifice was built in 1874 afterthe Afghan war. It served as Soldiers Club since 1887 and as Cheshire Home of Soldiers Club from 1984 to 1996. Further it was handed over to HQ DMSA (Then HQ Pune Sub Area) on 12 Oct 1942. In order to fulfill a long felt need, Southern Command Girls Hostel, Kirkee, (SCGH), was inaugurated by Regional President AWWA, Southern Command, on 24 August 1996 and now it has been operational in its present location since 25 Jul 2005.
14. Aim of the Hostel. The aim of the hostel is to provide affordable, safeand hygienic accommodation to dependent daughters of serving/retired/deceasedArmy personnel so that they can avail the benefits of quality education being imparted by a large No of higher educational institutions at Pune.Present occupancy of the hostel is 81 out of total capacity of 96 which is 84.4% of its capacity.
15. Talk on Cancer Awareness. On the occasion of World Cancer Day a lecture on ‘Cancer Awareness’ was conducted on 13 Feb 2018 at Dhanwantri Auditorium, AFMC.
16. Talk on ‘Employment Solutions. A Talk on ‘Employment Solutions’ was conducted on 16 Feb 18. It was delivered by MrsSupriyaParashar, Founder Director Skillster Employability Solutions.
17. Talk on ‘Waste Management’. A Talk on ‘Waste Management’ was org on 19 Feb 2018 at Dhanwantri Auditorium, AFMC, Pune to encourage the ladies about how to take care of the house hold waste. It was delivered by Mrs Nita Ganguly a Certified Climate Leader.
18. Pune Women’s Half Marathon. On the occasion of Women’s Day ‘Pune Women’s Half Marathon’ was org on 11 Mar 18 as a part of the Women’s Day celebration. A total of 490 families from Southern Comd participated in the event.
19. Dental Camp. A dental camp was organised on World Oral Hygiene Day on 20 Mar 2018.
20. Painting Competition. A painting competition for Offr/JCOs/OR children was conducted on 26 Mar 18 at Milkha Singh Sports Complex, Pune Camp.
21. Interactive Capsule on CPR (Basic Life Support). An interactive capsule on CPR that is basic life saving skills was orgon 06 Apr 2018 by the team of doctors from AFMC Pune which was well received by the families and is a KRA of Southern Command.
22. National Motherhood Day. To celebrate National Motherhood Day the ART Centre of Comd Hosp (SC) Pune Conducted a very informative programme for the families on 07 Apr 2018.
23. Principal & Teachers Workshop. APPS Principal and Teachers workshop was org on 21 Apr 2018.
24. AWWA Carnival - 2018. AWWA Carnival - 2018was org on 29-30 Apr 2018 at Milkha Singh Sports Complex for all Offrs/JCOs/OR and their families of Pune, Kirkee/Aundh and Dehu Road Stns.
25. Workshop on Interview Skills & Resume Writing. A workshop on ‘Interview Skills and Resume Writing’ was conducted at ASTC Protsahan on 04 May 2018 by MrsPayalRajpal.
26. Workshop on Grooming and Self Confidence. A workshop on ‘Grooming and Self Confidence’ was conducted at ASTC Protsahan on 05 May 2018 by MrsKareenaShivani.
27. Asthma Awareness and Outreach Programme. On the occasion of World Asthma Day an asthma awareness and outreach programme was org on09 May 2018.
28. Talk on “How to Control Emotions”. A talk on “How to Control Emotions” was delivered by MrsPunamKalra, Therapist and Personality Developer on 11 May 2018.
29. Talk on “Unplug : Supermoms in the times of Smart Phones’. talk on “Unplug : Supermoms in the times of Smart Phones”was org on14 May 2018. The talk was delivered byMrs Jyotsna Atre. This helped in bringing about awareness on using smartphones.